SEASON 4 IS ON THE WAY!

"...these loaves that I will share with you, were baked with love, and what I know so far. I'm a firm believer that we are what we eat, and I pray the bread I share here with you, will nourish and encourage you".

Thursday, June 18, 2009

HE

He often sat quietly watching us with a look on his face that to this day I still couldn’t describe. He worked hard, thought much, and seems more often than not, lost within himself. He stands tall, and on his lap was the safest place in the world to me. I loved him but I’m not sure I ever really knew him. I do know however what he did. He took care of his family. He combed my hair and on my first day of school, and after my mother had made my dress he hemmed it. He did!

I remember watching his hands, too big to hold the needle. But he did it, and then those same big hands held mine and walked me to school. I held on tight not wanting to be left alone and though he had to let go, he didn’t leave. I saw him standing outside the fence watching me. Protecting me. And because he did, I was able to go on. I’ve never stopped going because he was always there watching out for me and protecting me, even to this day. But he wasn’t the only one watching. I’ve watched him too, and in my watching, I’ve seen him change. I did not know that he was still growing up. He has grown into the most amazing man I know. With energy to do what I could not. He is amazing, and still I would have to say that I’m not really sure that I know him.

What motivates him? What makes him happy? What makes him sad? What is he thinking? What is he afraid of? Who is he, really?

Maybe a daughter could not know. But I’ll tell you what I do know. Fathers are necessary. Fathers are a integral part of a family, often times giving up their own dreams for those of their families. Putting away those things of youth in order to ensure the success and stability of the family. He did that for us. Many do that for theirs. Have you thanked your father lately?

I suspect that some fathers may be the most misunderstood member of the family, getting caught up in the attempts to prove strong in the face of what ever challenges. Trapped by societal belief of what a man should and should not be, how a man should and should not act. Sometimes feeling outsourced by the changing role of women. The looming role of mothers. But how are they, what are they?
Let us examine him for he has is defined in many ways. He could be a:

Birth father
Surprise father
Teenage father/youthful father
Non-parental father
Sperm Donor father
Single Father - as a matter of fact the number of fathers solely responsible for the care of their children is growing at a rate almost twice that of single mothers. Fully one-fifth of single parents today are single fathers -- more than 2 million of them.

And then there are,
Non-biological fathers
Step-fathers
Father-in-law
Adoptive fathers
Foster fathers
Cuckolded fathers - where child is the product of the mother's adulterous relationship.
Social fathers - where man takes de facto responsibility for a child.

But call them what you will, their importance is with out question.
Studies have conclusively shown that children who receive love, attention and interaction from their fathers are healthier and better adjusted. Fathers who take an active role of the raising of their children bring positive benefits in a way that no other person is as able to bring. These children often display higher IQs, better verbal skills, intellectual functioning, and academic achievement. The influence of a nurturing father's involvement with his children often result in a sense of self-confidence for the child which extends into adolescence and throughout life.

The idea for creating a day for children to honor their fathers began in Spokane Washington. By A woman named Sonora Smart Dodd. In 1926, a National Father's Day Committee was formed in New York City. Father's Day was recognized by a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1956. In 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June.

So on today, on Father’s Day, and all days of my life I shall honor my father, for he was there, he is amazing, he is a mystery, he is my daddy and because he is, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The ALL NEW Cassandra McShepard.com!

The ALL NEW Cassandra McShepard.com!
It's finally here- The ALL NEW CassandraMcShepard.com- click ENTER to visit!

IN CELEBRATION!

IN CELEBRATION!
Cassandra takes center stage at The Marcus Center For The Performing Arts to sing the National Anthem, at the 2010 Birthday Celebration for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.